Sunday, August 29, 2010

1 1.10 What souvenirs?



dear diary,

It's hard to describe how I really feel about Connor. Strangely, he seems like the long lost friend I never had. I can't brush off the part of me that feels like I have known him for a long time. A familiar presence I could not comprehend just by words alone.

Is this because I'm falling in love with him?
Does other people feel like this when they're in love?

When Connor broke the news that he won't be coming back soon, I got really frustrated.
I wanted to meet him again so bad and accidentally revealed that I missed him.
That's when he said he really missed me too.

It felt really weird to confess each others feelings on the phone.
Because by the time we hung up, I became uncertain and afraid if it were all just...
I don't know...

Anyway, although his trip got extended, we stayed in touch most of the time.

He would call me at work and after.

He would call me when the sun sets.

He would call me on my day offs.

He would call me to say goodnight.

We'd talk about our day.

We'd talk about the town.

We'd talk about the weather.

We'd talk about going to the beach together.

Sometimes I tell him about the politics at work.

Sometimes he'd complain about the currency exchange.

Sometimes I'd ask him for insights.

Sometimes he'd ask me for advice.

We exchange hellos as often as we said goodnight.

We shared laughter as much we missed each other.

I find myself expecting his call every now and then.
And in between those phone calls, a part of me wishing he's right here by my side.

*♫♪~~! ♫♪♪~♫♪♪~~! ♫♪~~!*

Yes!
__________________________________________

Ashton immediately jumped off her seat and grabbed her cell. Glancing at the caller ID, it was none other than the person she expects to hear from. With a fluttery joy in her heart, Ashton answered the call.

"Hello, Ashton," greeted the deep voice on the other line.

"Hello, Connor."

"I hope I'm not calling you so late," he's apologizing at 9pm. "We're you sleeping?"

"No, I wasn't," she replied. "I was writing something. - Is everything okay already? You sound very excited."

The weather at Champs were very unpredictable recently. The dark clouds looked like it was going to rain heavily, but then the sun came up and scorched all day long.

And when it looked like a sunny day to head down to the beach, a storm rolled over the sky.


And earlier on, there was a flood which forced Connor to turn back the other way. When he got to a new route, a massive avalanche fell on it, rendering the path impossible to pass through. A lot of unexpected things can happen during a road trip such as these.

"Very excited," Connor beamed. "Found a safe way around the avalanche but I have to travel on foot to the next town. And from there, I'll get a ride back to Sunset."

"That's great," she was happy to know he's finally coming back. "But it means you're leaving your Vorn behind?"

"I had to," he paused for a moment before continuing. "You're far more important to me than the old truck."

Ashton was caught off guard by his words. She didn't know what to say.

"No matter how late it is, I promise I'll be back by tomorrow," he went on. A little afraid if he made her felt awkward with what he just said.

"Please be careful," she finally spoke. "I don't care how long it takes, I just want you to be back home safely."

"Don't worry," he assured her, feeling glad at the same time knowing that she's concerned about him. "I will... Sweet dreams, Ashton."

"Good night, Connor," she replied softly.

Just when they were about to hang up...

"Oh, Connor, wait!"

"What's the matter?" he had a worried tone.

"I just remembered something," she was relieved to still hear his voice. "Could you stop getting Cyclone souvenirs? He's having disoriented thoughts when he looks at them."

"What souvenirs?" Connor was puzzled. "I never gave him any."

"What?" Ashton was taken aback. "He said you always get him souvenirs from your travels."


"He's definitely kidding you," Connor chuckled. "I should probably let you get back to sleep. I'll see you when I get back?"

"Okay..." Ashton managed to breathe the word out despite having a shock.

"Sweet dreams, Ashton."

1 comment: